DFD Collaborative Conference Agenda
Join us on Wednesday, November 10
Please use this page to learn more about the sessions at the DFD Collaborative Conference. Each session has a title, description and speaker. Click here to download a full conference agenda.
DFD Opening Session (8:30 - 9:40 a.m.)
Hear from DOA/DFDM leadership on upcoming initiatives including remote working, technology changes and sustainability guidelines updates.
Breakout Sessions (10:00 - 11:00 a.m.)
A. Towards Ethical Practice
Speaker: Jeffrey Russell, PE, PhD, UW-Madison
Practically speaking, ethics is a very complicated topic. What it includes and does not include varies from individual to individual as well as from one organization to another. The goal of the talk is to engage us in thinking about what it means to practice ethically.
- Review what ethics means in a professional setting.
- Discover what you can do individually to be more ethical.
- Understand how to apply individual ethics to a workplace.
- Learn what ethical standards to set professionally.
B. Successfully Navigating the State Construction Contracting Process
Speakers: Bureau of Capital Budget and Construction Administration
In this session, hear from leadership in the Bureau of Capital Budget and Construction Administration. Staff will discuss the various types of DFD projects, as well as pointers on the contracting processes and overall successful project delivery.
- DFD Project Types & Thresholds: Review the different project types & budget thresholds along with differences in the selection process for each project type.
- Project Phases & Milestones: Discuss the lifecycle of DFD projects covering the key milestones and critical documents for each project phase.
- Helpful Checklists: Review submission checklists to help reduce the turnaround time for submitting materials to DFD.
- Future Improvements to Bidding & Contracting Process: Preview upcoming system upgrade.
Materials Forecast (11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.)
Speaker: David Logan, National Association of Home Builders
Materials prices affect everything in the design and construction process. Recent upheavals have sent shockwaves through the industry. The session will look at the causes, the path of prices since their peaks in spring and look forward to 2022.
- Review how and why materials prices went through the roof.
- Learn how your firm can account for possible price spikes when working on projects.
- Understand what prices can do to bidding, design and construction processes.
- Discover what might happen in the future with materials.
Roundtable Discussions (1:15 - 2:45 p.m.)
Mechanical, Plumbing & Fire Protection
This is a breakout session where you can join a discipline specific discussion led by DFD technical specialists. Disciplines include Architectural/Structural, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical/Telecom, and Construction Administration.
- Learn the challenges DFD project managers and technical reviewers face on capital projects.
- Understand DFD performance expectations relative to design of specific technical disciplines.
- Discover how to minimize rework during design development and when and how to involve DFD technical teams.
- Discuss best practices and lessons learned.
Case Studies (3:00 - 4:15 p.m.)
Speakers: DFD Project Teams
This session will give an overview of recently completed DFD projects. The presentations will be facilitated by members of each respective project team.
- Hear a project overview of each selected project and what agency specific need was being addressed with project implementation.
- Understand the challenges during delivery of each project.
- Learn how creative solutions were utilized in the delivery of the projects.
- Review “lessons learned” and primary takeaways from project team following completion.
Networking Reception (4:30 - 5:30 p.m.)
Wind down after the event and continue your networking at the reception. Each attendee will receive a drink ticket. It's a great way to cap off a full day!